Friday 28 June 2013

TO SING or NOT to SING

By now you know the residents of B.C. are extremely shop happy. They even sacrifice second Christmas Day and replaced it with "The Biggest Sale of the Year Event".  

Until yesterday I haven't really noticed they like to sing too. Given the opportunity, my new Canadian friends stand up tall and sing their National Anthem.


The end of June always marks the end of our school year and the beginning of eight weeks uninterrupted, blissful holidaying.
Our middle son had the honour to receive an Award for Most Improved Student and his mom was there to capture the moment.


Now, before our headmaster went on with his presentation, we got up and sang Oh Canada. (Which sounds lovely sung by 500 young children).
At moments like this I always face my inner, patriotic self: To sing or not to sing?
I am not Canadian, I will never become one-we might turn citizens, that doesn't mean we are Canadian.

Courtesy, manners and respect dictate to get up and be silent - no doubt about these rules.                But to sing? Assuming you know the words to sing along- , should we as non- Canadians?

During last year's Soccer Championship I made sure I  was on time to listen and watch the Live Feed of our National Team playing.
 I get all teary and wobbly in my knees when I listen to Deutschland Deutschland ueber Alles...   .And even with my own Anthem I don't sing! I don't cross my heart either.

I love our song- full stop. That's where the teary eyes come into. The wobbly knees? That might have something to do with men in shorts.

To sing or not to sing will be a question worth pondering during the next few days: On July 1 we  will celebrate Canada Day with all its glory and on July 4th we will hop across the border to find out how the other North Americans celebrate their day. During both occasions I bet their will be lots of flag raising and ....singing!


No comments:

Post a Comment